There is more than one way to achieve healthy eating patterns to help reach your weight loss and maintenance goals. Slower weight loss leads to greater success in long-term weight management. The goal for healthy weight loss is one to two pounds a week. Use these tips to help you reach your goal:
- Focus on eating more whole grains, fruits, vegetables and fat-free or low-fat milk and dairy products.
- Choose healthy protein options such as lean meat, fish, poultry, eggs, beans and nuts.
- Use the plate method to increase variety and limit portion sizes. Half your plate should be vegetables!
- Schedule nutritious snacks if you find yourself hungry in between meals. A handful of nuts, a small bowl of berries with a dollop of whipped cream, multigrain tortilla chips with salsa, wheat crackers, fresh veggies with hummus or low-fat yogurt make a great, quick snack.
- Remember to mindfully eat foods high in calories and enjoy them in small amounts. The first bite of dessert is always the most satisfying!
- When eating out, make the best available choice. Limit all the “extras” like chips and salsa and bread. Skip the potatoes and order a salad with dressing on the side or vegetables. You can always bring half home and eat it for lunch the next day.
- Keep a food journal. This will help you get a better idea of the foods and portions you are eating and opportunities for change.
The most successful weight loss plan includes healthy eating along with physical activity. Balance and consistency are key in helping you get closer to your weight loss goal. Don’t give up!